Friday, May 13, 2011

Underwear...a word study.

I have a few words for you to consider...

junior – adjective 1. younger (usually designating the younger of two men bearing the same full name, as a son named after his father; often written as Jr. or jr. following the name) 2. of more recent appointment or admission, as to an office or status; of lower rank or standing: a junior partner. 3. (in American universities, colleges, and schools) noting or pertaining to the class or year next below that of the senior.

drawer – noun 1. a sliding, lidless, horizontal compartment, as in a piece of furniture, that may be drawn out in order to gain access to it. 2. drawers, ( used with a plural verb ) an undergarment, with legs, that covers the lower part of the body. 3. a person or thing that draws.

Please, follow my train of thought to the end. I promise we will reach our destination, but there may be a few minor stops along the way. I believe this enhances any trip.

So, what in the world do junior or drawer have to do with anything? Let's find out.

As a matter of fact, we are talking about underwear. I apologize for starting out on such a personal subject. I promise to be modest in my descriptions. Please, do continue with me.

Everyone has their own particular, "underthings" vernacular which they deem acceptable. Propriety doesn't always factor in. Sometimes, it's merely a matter of routine, words probably expressed by your parents and, quite simply, passed down.

I've heard a great variety of expressions used to signify underwear (which, by the way, is the simplest way I've heard to articulate it...underwear.) Let me share a few. Ladies would most likely choose from this list: undies, panties, undergarments, bikinis, unmentionables, delicates, intimates, or lingerie. Here are some with a masculine approach:  briefs, skivvies, shorts, jockey shorts, boxers, whitey tighties.

It is sometimes considered impertinent to use a word from one list to describe the underthings of a person from the opposite list. Example:  My boys would be mortified if I asked them in front of their buddies if they remembered to pack their panties. While we're here, let's go ahead and mention that it is also very unacceptable to purchase underthings if you have someone from the opposite sex with you. If I want to see my boys take flight, flee the scene, make themselves invisible, or scatter like rats, I need only stop at the ladies' undergarment section of any store. You have never seen a more panic-induced retreat in your entire life.

Hang on, we're almost there...

Now, I think drawers is a universally acknowledged word for underwear. Okay, maybe not universally, but definitely southern approved. Another southern approved venture...Nascar. How does Nascar fit, you ask. Here we are at the meat of the matter...

My cousin had the fortunate opportunity to visit the Texas Motor Speedway.  As he was preparing to go, his young daughter was giving him a list of things she wanted him to bring back. Of course, everything she requested absolutely must bear the cherished name of Junior. She wanted a Junior hat, Junior t-shirt, Junior pants, even, you guessed it...Junior drawers. Now, his daughter being a beautiful, southern belle, these words were perfectly distorted and pronounced "joon-yer draws." Further assault the words, because she was only 3 or 4 at the time and they became "joon-yah dwaws."

We finally made it. So, now you know what underthings are still called at my house, feminine or masculine...joon-yah dwaws. It's a family legacy. Thanks, Junior.

No comments: