Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Keep Howlin'

Why am I still thinking about werewolves? Jonny Lang left a big impression, but it may be because of my reading list. It includes this:


The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
 by Ritch Duncan & Bob Powers
If the title alone doesn't make you laugh, it's probably not a book for you. I cracked up.

So, I've been thinking about covers that Jonny Lang should do, given the comparison that I made. Here's the short list of songs I would like to hear Lang sing:


The obvious...this is Warren Zevon singing Werewolves of London. "Here him howlin' round your kitchen door...better not let him in! Aaaahooo!"



CCR's Bad Moon Rising, of course...



Duran Duran...Hungry Like the Wolf. This 80s staple would be a perfect match.



I Was a Teenage Werewolf by The Cramps. Not sure which is more creepy...the song or Little Joe turning into a werewolf...



Ozzy Osbourne...Bark at the Moon. This used to be a regular on my playlist. The guitar still shreds...listen. I actually spotted a live version of this, but Ozzy pacing onstage was very disturbing, add to that some seriously huge 80s hair & I decided on the original video.



You might not automatically think of Little Richard singing By the Light of the Silvery Moon as a possible Lang hit, but I can totally see it. I am also a Little Richard fan, so that helps. I saw Doris Day doing a version of this hit, but I couldn't relate that to Jonny.



This is not a werewolf song per se, but it is sung by the original Big Bad Wolf...Howlin' Wolf. My top pick for a Jonny Lang cover would be Smokestack Lightnin'! It didn't hurt that this clip has Adrien Brody in it.



Since this video was from the movie "Cadillac Records" & not the actual Howlin' Wolf, let me present the legend:


Keep howlin'!

No comments: