Thursday, July 17, 2008

Do the 'do

Let's talk about the word 'do, not do, due, doo, or dew, but 'do as in hairdo. Hairdos are as different as personalities. Some people are defined by their hair (good or bad)...Sampson, Tina Turner (maybe she belongs in "people defined by their legs"), Jennifer Aniston, Don King, Buckwheat, Rapunzel, etc. Some people are like chameleons continually donning new & different 'dos, keeping up with current fads. There are people who are completely indifferent to their 'do, "the perpetual bedhead look". Of course, you have traditionalists, those that follow good, old-fashioned convention. They sport the "my hair is part of a strict, daily hygiene routine". This is not the same as those with 'dos that are trapped in a time warp. They have a look they enjoyed in a former era & by golly they will keep it...forever.

Our hairdos coincide with seasons of our life. When you were little, your Mom probably braided your hair or gave you a great "chili-bowl" cut. In middle school, most want styles just like their friends. Through the teen years, you were probably more current, following trends. This is a time when some rebel, even with their hairdos. Maybe as a young adult you strived to be a trendsetter. Maturity sometimes brings conformity in hairstyles. You soon begin to see a completely, natural highlighting process. Many years may bring a complete color change. I really like gray hair & those that choose to embrace this season.

I have sported many different styles through my life. I have stressed my tresses with color, perms, & heat styling. I began coloring my hair when I was 16. I have been many variations of blond until a few years ago. I finally decided to return to my natural color. It was a lengthy process & not at all easy. My hair is darker than I remembered, but I love it.

I cut my own hair during this time. It was pretty long, but I decided to bring it up to my shoulders. I eventually took a step further to more of a chin length bob. Last year, I took a leap & went to a hairdresser for a SHORT cut. I am so absolutely glad that I did. I really like my current 'do.

I am not fussy about my hair. I have my usual "everyday & work" 'do. It's my "wash & go" look, very low maintenance. Then, there is my "goin' places" 'do. I use a straightening iron on it & a great amount of product for texture. Colt calls it my "manga" hair. He is dead-on with this description. I love "manga" hair, piece-y & textured. Some great examples:










Well, yesterday I was sporting my "wash & go" look at work. After work, I was going places, church, to be exact. So, I fixed my usual "manga" style. Now, you must realize it takes a lot of different products to achieve this style. The result is great texture, but not much give.
Now, the great part of this story. We arrived at church & did the usual "Hello, good to see you". We seated ourselves. At the beginning of church are announcements. Right as announcements were starting I felt something crawl into my hair. It felt like something big. I immediately thought "cockroach", so you can imagine the "ick" factor involved. I whispered to Colt, "Something just crawled in my hair." He said, "What?". Ok, this isn't going anywhere. What am I going to have him do, dig in my hair like a monkey? I'm also entertaining the idea that this bug is never getting out of this mess of hair. He's trapped like a rat.
I calmly, but with quietly, distressed feelings, wait for announcements to finish. As the music begins praise & worship, I excuse myself to the bathroom...quickly. By the time I arrive at the ladies' room, the feeling is gone. I can't "feel" the creepy crawly anymore. I still try to locate him. There are so many "textured" places to hide! With great difficulty, I search my scalp. No luck, but since I can't feel it, I'm relieved.
I returned to my seat. Five minutes into the service, the little devil critter is back on the move. I really wanted to scream, to stop everybody's singing & ask for help...a search & rescue of sorts. Thankfully, it stops again. I casually try to make sure he's not still there. I don't have anymore issues during church. As soon as I got home, I picked every inch of my hair with a fine-tooth comb. This has me rethinking my favorite "manga" style...

6 comments:

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

bedhead...that's my season...some like it, some i'm sure, don't...but hey, i think the same of theirs i suppose.

Instead of checking the 'do', perhaps you should check the 'don't', as in, what kid was sitting behind you and what parent was saying...

Bag Blog said...

I loved your hair on Wed. night - bugs and all.

We had a similar experience Wed. night at church. During the singing I leaned over to Toby and whispered, "I smell something funny!" He whispered back, "Is it me?" "Na" I said, "It was not that funny."

inpassing said...

Well, I've been having this same discussion with myself. My hair style is stuck in the 80's and try as I might to get it out, I've failed.

I have an appointment in a couple of weeks with a new girl. (Mums the word!!) But I thought a fresh look at my 80's "do" might do some good and we'd come up with a better plan. Perhaps I could move from at least 1985 to 1988. We'll see...

Course of Perfection said...

Pipe: You & Rye have the same fondness of spikes, I think.

Good point on the "don't"...lol.

Bag: Thank you. :^)

Poor Toby...even though your joke cracked me up. Also, did he ride his bike to church? I noticed he looked like he had on comfortable clothing, perhaps work-out attire?

Inpassing: Sometimes it takes a fresh, unbiased perspective to help us out of a rut, even from 1985 to 1988...lol. I can't wait to see your new 'do. (Mums the word)*as we post on the internet* :^)

Inquiries said...

I love your hair! The cut and the color.

I have never even highlighted my hair. Dad won't let me. I cam thinking about cutting it all off though.

inpassing said...

Aahhh...Ash...your hair is beautiful!!!!