Thursday, July 24, 2008

Education...in a Word

Let it be said my blog is educational, even informative. I have heard a certain word used more frequently in the last month or so. The reason is very clear, but let's start with the word. The word is "anti-venom".

Copperheads in our area are abundant. You hear of usual sightings this time of year, but there seems to be a greater amount this year. I have lived in my house for at least 16 years & this is the first summer I've had a run in with a copperhead. For those of you who aren't familiar, a copperhead is a pit viper. Oklahoma has 3 types of poisonous snakes & this fellow is one of them.



OK Snakes

I know of 2 people, different instances, that were bitten by copperheads this last week. Of course, these stories spread like wildfire & you automatically hear people talking about needed treatment for such a bite. They are worried the hospital they go to might not have the proper "anti-venom".

So, back to the word. I want everyone who reads my blog to know this. The antitoxin that is used to counteract the effects of venom from a snake, spider, or other venomous animal or insect is NOT "anti-venom". The actual name of this antitoxin is "antivenin". Yes, I know, you may need to look it up. Don't take my word for it. By all means, investigate.

Antivenin! That is my contribution to your education today. If you already knew this, tell some people you know.

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

There has to be terminology for these "Near words" - words that sound similar to the real word - words that people use mistakenly and eventually become the norm. My mother says "alltimers" instead of alzheimers. My favorite that she says is "flustrated," which is kind of a good word. Jesse has a few of these words too - she calls the hazard lights, the "tragedy lights." Just ask Jes about the cup that Lizzie drinks out of and she will say, "thermal, thermometer, thermostat..."

Becky G said...

Not to worry, copperhead venom is rarely lethal, even when medical attention is not sought--though I still recommend seeing a doctor.

Since we're on an educational theme, let me contribute my two bits. Snakes are not poisonous. They are venomous. What is the difference, you may ask? Well, I'll tell you. If a snake were poisonous, you would need to eat it, breathe it, or somehow absorb it into your body to suffer any ill effects. However, snakes (and bees, spiders, and wasps, and the like) inject their venom using muscles created for that very purpose.

My handy mnemonic: Poison is ingested, venom is injected.

Pet peeve of mine, it is.

While we are on the subject, poison ivy is not really poisonous, either. Those who react to it are allergic to the oil in the leaves.

Half Pint said...

Thanks for all the handy facts...I didn't know copperheads were of the pit viper family either.

Inquiries said...

Thanks for the info!

Course of Perfection said...

Bag: My Grandpa used to take his "description" to the pharmacy to be filled. He also regularly invited us over to eat "wallamelon".

Becky: Thanks for the additional info & the study in "poisonous". Poison is ingested, venom is injected...words taken to heart.

Half-Pint & Inquiries: You are so very welcome.