Saturday, July 12, 2008

Vintage Vagary

They say "Diamonds are a girl's best friend." I have no friends. I don't plan on owning any diamonds. I can appreciate fine jewels, but the cost considered over probability of misplacing is too great. I have owned diamonds & I have to say, they are not anymore precious to me than the cheap. (My apologies to Marilyn & all you other diamond buffs.) I am more of a costume-jewelry type. I can buy loads of the fake stuff for the cost of the real deal. My husband will no doubt (with bewilderment) appreciate my thriftiness. Now, this is not to say that I don't like jewelry. I most definitely do, especially the vintage stuff. I checked out "Hollywood Jewels" from the library. WOW! I may have to purchase it. This book showcases the most stunning, vintage jewelry. If you love the old stuff, check it out!




I do love vintage things, especially the stuff from the 1950s. This includes movies, fashion, advertising, books, cars, home decor, architecture, music, etc. I found a 50s wiggle dress that I would absolutely love to wear. Sadly, my measurements don't coincide with that of the dress. I think the 1950s ladies didn't eat because most of the waistlines from that era are teeny! So, I'll pass this find onto you. Since I can't wear it, I would love to see you in it! (This, of course, is excluding Jay) Buy it here! The dress sizzles & sings, & no doubt you will too!





6 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I love vintage stuff, too!

mornin'lady said...

o-o-o-wee, I love vintage stuff, I have some really pretty jewelry pieces that were my mothers and are from that era. Remember the rhinestone clip on earrings, pearls galore, even those fancy rhinestone brooches she wore with her scarves around the neck with the cashmere sweaters.Cool stuff!
I wish I could fit into that dress, sadly by the time my bottom fits the top will be like a tent :(

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Tag! your it...see my blog.

Becky G said...

I'm like you, I don't get all excited over diamonds. The CZs are just as pretty (to me) and less heartbreaking if I lose or break them.

Unlike you, I'm not much into jewelry at all. I do like vintage stuff, but there's no way I would get into that dress. I'd look like someone tried to stuff too much sausage into too little casing!

Course of Perfection said...

Jamie: Thanks for stopping by.

Dawn: Wow, I would LOVE to see your Mom's pieces!

Pipe: I did it!

Becky: LOL...sausage stuffing! By the way, I checked out a knitting how-to book. My son has swiped it & started knitting tonight. You have inspired us.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

oh yeah...folks already give me a ration for wearing a kilt...forget wearing a flowery dress. Besides hair emitting from the chest area just isn't very flattering.