Monday, July 21, 2008

We are SO connected!

"Was I adopted?" Did you ever ask your Mom or Dad that? Is your personality so varied from your other family members that it makes you wonder? Do you sometimes think, "I couldn't possibly share genes with these people."

I do, but then I look in the mirror. Yep, that's definitely a replica of my Dad's nose. I've got those family trademark big gums. All my older relatives keep telling me how much I look my Mom. I couldn't deny these folks if I wanted to.

But, then, there are these basic differences. For example, I love to read. I truly enjoy libraries. I can't name a single family member (excluding Colt & Rye, of course) that I could hog tie & take to the library with me.

I love movies, especially old ones. This mystifies my family. When I ask, "Did you ever see...?" The answer is always "No" with a hint of "and I never will." They don't begrudge my love of movies. They just don't get it. My brother buys any old movie he comes across, to give to me. He would never, ever watch it himself.


It makes it hard to discuss any movie stuff with them. I would love to share with them, but I will give an example of our conversations. This was just last night...




Me: Last night, Colt & I watched a movie about Jane Austen. It was about her life before she really started writing.

Aunt: Was it about the apes killing her?

Me: (Pausing, perplexed...) You're thinking about Jane Goodall. Jane Austen was an author. She wrote...Never mind.

Both: (laughing...)



4 comments:

Inquiries said...

Oh that cracked me up!

Was it about apes killing her. LOL!

Becky G said...

Oh that was too funny!

I've seen Becoming Jane. It was very good.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

was it anything like "Being John Malkovich"? That dude is just a cool bad guy!

Bag Blog said...

Your relatives do seem to have a great sense of humor as do you.

I once met an older distant cousin. She said, "Oh you look just like Cousin Lois! Your gums show when you smile!"