Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A rose by any other name...

The boys and I often use aliases. Don't worry. We are not criminals, secret agents, kidnap victims, or protected witnesses. Sometimes we like to make up names as a game, just for the fun of it. Other times, the names are used to go along with the adventure we happen to be on at the time. Example: If we are playing Knights, we would need appropriate, knight names. A good knight name might be Sir Percival the Lionhearted.

I shall start with the real deal. Do you like your given name? I think most people don't, but would you change it if you could? Mine is Julinda, too long & nobody ever gets it right. "Is your Daddy named 'Joe' & your Mom named 'Linda'?" No, & my name is not Jo Linda. It's Julinda, pronounced like Melinda. Although some would argue it is pronounced Jew-linda. I also think Julinda is misspelled, but I wouldn't change it. Maybe I should go by my middle name, Ann.

Colten Tanner was actually Zachary Garrett through my entire pregnancy, but it didn't fit after he was born. Sadly, he remained nameless for 4 days. Colten is pronounced with a short e at the end. It is not Colton. He is mistakenly Colton to most people. My Grandpa called him Tanner Bananner. My Great Aunt says Colt-lyn. The name Riley was also considered for Colt.

Riley Cade was nameless for a few days too. He would have been Reese if he were a girl. Most people wonder why his middle name is Kay. I've also been asked what the K. stands for. Rye was very close to being a Nicholas. My aunt wanted me to name him after the kitten in Colt's favorite book when he was little, "No, No, Nicky".

Nicknames
Mom: Mama Big Booty, Aunt Shalinda, Ju (Someone once asked me if I was offended by being called Jew), Jewels (mostly in high school), Sissy (I used to be Sissy to everyone. I didn't lose this one until after I started school.), I was Pumpkin to my Dad.
Colt: TaTa or ToTo (Colten mispronounced by toddler-aged Madison), CoCo, Hobbitt Feet, My Oldest Child, First Born, Bubba, & Big Bullfrog Bulldog (so named because of his irritating antics while on my bed)
Rye: Y-Tade, Whitey, Wiley, My Youngest, & Little Bullfrog Bulldog (same as Colt)
I call each of them "Sweets".

Spanish Names
Mom: Blanca
Colt: Alejandro
Rye: Tito
We made up Spanish names because Colt is studying Spanish. Although, Rye wants to legally change his name to Tito.

Hobbitt Names
Mom: Ruby Grubb of Little Delving
Colt: Popo Grubb of Little Delving
Rye: Samwise Loamsdown
These names were generated for us. We often call Colt, Popo Grubb.

HipHop Names
Mom: DJ 'Nilla Chilla
Colt: Cheese Masta Funk
Rye: 'Lil Biggie
Again, Colt's gets used often. We're SO gangsta, dawg.

Star Wars Names
Mom: Chazrah (a Jedi Wookie)
Colt: Netloc (a Jedi Human)
Rye: Clox (a mercenary Trandoshan)
We use these playing a Star Wars role playing game. Colt's name is his name backwards.

Pirate Names
Mom: Almost Blind Blythe or Cap'n Bella Deadweight
Colt: Dashing Pike the Pink or Parrotless Pete
Rye: Muck Mutiny or Shark Tooth Stumpy
Everybody wants to be a pirate. We really like the Pirates of the Carribbean movies. Muppet Treasure Island is an absolute favorite. Arrrr, if ye have any small words about it, ye be walkin' the plank, ye bilge rat.

Indian Names
Mom: Sitting Bird
Colt: Quiet Eagle Watching
Rye: Climbing Lizard
Rye named me because I like to sit at the computer. These are just for fun, although I am one-quarter Indian. I know, my dark skin is a give away. My earthly tribe is the Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians. A little Ottawa History. Ottawa Indians refer to themselves as "Neshnabeck" (nishnaabeg) which means "original people". I would like to find the translation for "God's people".

Eternal Names
Our names written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

12 comments:

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

nice to know i got it right. One day The Queen was like..."Who is Jewels?" I gave her that "duh" look, i think i was writing on your blog.

With parental consent...i'm for Tito. Wait...Tito "Lil Biggie" Clox, now THAT's a UFC
name if there ever was one.

Junk Diva said...

Great read. When i named Keli I used only 1 L, I just liked the way it looked, I don't think it has caused her much trouble. Now Chara Pronounced Kara, has been the bain of her existance. She is always getting it pronounced with the H sound or Chaira. She would like to change the spelling, matter of fact most the time she will sign her name Cara. Chara is greek and actually pronounce k-rah. It means joy. She has been one to us, but the spelling of her name has not been one to her.

Becky G said...

I have an unusual last name. I'm forever being asked to spell it or pronounce it.

When I married my son's father, his was worse. When Cody was born, I wanted him to have a nice simple name that he wouldn't forever having to be spelling or pronouncing. I chose Cody.

You would be amazed at how many ways folks can come up with to spell Cody.

As for nicknames, he doesn't really have one. When I was a child, the only nickname I had (other than the shortened form of my given name0was given to me by my maternal grandfather. He was such a warm, caring individual. He gave me the nickname of Hammerhead.

Doesn't that just give you the warm fuzzies all over?

Anonymous said...

We gave my sister an Indian name. We call her, "Lives like a pig".

Bo

Bag Blog said...

The fact that Bo and Toby are both nicknames gives you a clue to how much we like nicknames. We like our real names fine, but making up names is so much fun. I've blogged on this topic, but I think your NN are better than ours.

Jesse was going to be Amanda right up until she was born - like you said, it just didn't fit. Bo was almost Benjamin or Oliver King (OK Baggett). There was a lot of pressure to name him Hub IV. But while he was still in the womb we called him Bilbo - Bo stuck.

Toby calls GBN1 Bullit.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Bullit! That is perfect! I busted out laughing when i saw that.

Half Pint said...

I love names too... my Dad names everyone. He hasen't named me but it is only because we don't know each other very well. Piper takes care of that one though, and winemaker.... they both make up all sorts of names for me. Mostly height related.

Course of Perfection said...

Piper: LOL, Rye doesn't need any encouragement in this area.

Diva: I like the way you spell Keli. Poor, Chara. I have to admit when I see it in writing, I want to pronounce it "Ch". I'm glad you told me the background of her name. That's neat. Let me know if Chara wants us to pick her a new name.

Becky: LOL...that Grandpa of yours must have been a character! "Hammerhead"...that really is sweet...huh?

Bo: We should give you a Spanish name, given your heritage according to Rye. We don you "Hector".

Bag: Before we knew Bo, when we found out he was coming to work with us, he was "Bilbo Baggins" to us.

Half Pint: Being veritically challenged opens you up to the nicknames...doesn't it?

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

in my estimation...the word "challenged" implies that there can be change through effort. In this instance..."limited" would probably be in order.

Course of Perfection said...

Piper: Yeah, short of high heels, I think she's pretty much set.

Lou: I forgot to tell you that Riley believes Bo is of Spanish descent, since he came from New Mexico.

Junk Diva said...

Charas Indian name was -Runs like the wind- because she can. And Bre was always call Crudella Debrie, think about it!

mornin'lady said...

CoP, What a sweet and funny post!
I can think of one nickname that applies to all in our house. Shaun started using it awhile back.
"Slacker" and at our house if the shoe fits, you get to wear it :)
Tyler is my little tug, only just last month he's informed me I can no longer call him that in front of anyone. (I do slip up sometimes.)
Jordan is Jorge He's not happy when I start in with "Jorgie, porgie, puddin' pie"
Olivia is "Wibbie LU-LU"
I will probably hang for letting this be published :)