Sunday, March 23, 2008

Longevity

My Great-Aunt was released from the hospital today. We went for a visit & to check on her. This is sometimes funny because she doesn't always remember you. We really harrass Colt because more than once she has bragged & bragged about what a pretty girl he was!
Her name is Ima Mamie Omega. That is without her surname. Here's a sampling of some of the other first & middle names of her brothers & sisters: Floyd Otto (Uncle Curly), Alvie Gordon (Uncle Trig), Susie Marvel, & Pleasant Leon (my Grandpa). There were 12 children altogether & I just love the names my Great-Grandmother, Mattie, came up with. Mattie lived to be 104-years old. Most of her children have passed on.
My Aunt Ima is now 100-years old. She will turn 101 in July. Her "kid" sister Susie is 90. My Aunt Ima is a pistol. Her health has deteriorated only in the last few years, but she still tries to clean everything. Even in the hospital, she was telling the nurses that she needed to get up & "Help them clean up". My Aunt Susie is quite a lady too, not at all what I think 90-years old should look like.
I have been thinking about longevity. I was thinking about what is considered a "long" life. I have been told that my time here is considered short. This life is but a vapor. James 4:14 "Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow." Psalm 144:4. What is this life compared to eternity? One-hundred years sounds like a long time.
My prayer today is that I fully comprehend the meaning of "You are a mist that appears for a little while & then vanishes." I want to live a life worthy of an eternal inheritance. I want to redeem the time here. I desire a greater understanding of these things.
Do I want to live to be 100? I'm not sure about that, but I am sure that I want to persevere.

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

My mother (76 yrs. old) has several old aunts still living. They are in their 90's and still going strong. It makes me wonder if Mom will live to be that old.

May God grant you the desires of your heart.

Course of Perfection said...

Some of these old-timers amaze me!
Thank you for your encouragement!