Monday, March 31, 2008

Family Sayings

I'm sure all of you have a family member that maybe you didn't know so well, or you were too young to remember; but the stories about them linger on. I have one such cousin. He was older than my mother & passed away when I was young. He was a corker to say the least. All the stories that are told about him are said with rounds of laughter. He always wore a smile & loved to aggravate his mother. Therefore he was often chased by his mother with a broom, much to the enjoyment of all the witnesses. (Yes, she would even chase him with a broom when there was company in the house.)

I know we all have certain quotes or sayings that are passed down through our families. There is a certain saying that I have always enjoyed from my cousin. It makes me giggle every time that I think about it. My cousin loved to socialize & wasn't deterred if he was short on cash. He would say, with a smile of course, that he needed to borrow some money because he was "financially embarrassed".

Now, you have a phrase to use the next time you don't have quite enough for that Starbuck's latte. You are financially embarrassed. I have been financially embarrassed a few times myself. Come to think of it that's what I should have told the clerk at Wal-Mart when my card was declined.

Now, please share with me your family quotes, sayings, phrases, or jokes. Thanks.

10 comments:

Bag Blog said...

We use the following sayings, but more often we just call out the person's name like "Your being an Aunt Mildred." If someone fingers all of the food before picking a bite, we say, "Well Uncle Joe..."

My grandfather, who snored like a bear: Snoring!? Why I hadn't even closed my eyes!

Toby's great-grandfather to his wife whenever she did anything off the wall: Helldamn Eugene!

Terry Dennis whenever anyone did anything stupid: Why I'd be embarrassed!

Another Terry Dennis: Everyone and their dog was there.

Course of Perfection said...

Those are great! Your Grandpa's comments sound familiar.

My Aunt always says when she's upset that she is "ready to commit harry carry". What the heck is that? I know it's not good & you don't want anybody to commit harry carry, but what exactly is it?

Course of Perfection said...

LOL...ok, I just found "commit harry carry". The reason I never could before is because it is actually "hari-kiri"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_hari_kari

I'm not sure my Aunt really knows what it means. :)

Anonymous said...

And here, I thought Harry Carey was something out of an old western!

Bo

Bag Blog said...

JIm's brother - you know!

Course of Perfection said...

Harry Carey is the Cubbies' guy, right? ;)

I thought of a few more.
When my Uncle gets behind the wheel, he always says, "Standby for violent maneuvers."

My Aunt used to call the guys that stop you for speeding the "highway petroleum".

Bag Blog said...

A Hispanic friend of ours called police, "Cholize." We still use that one.

mornin'lady said...

How about "I smell a slacker" that's Shaun's favorite, we use it often!

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Ask your boss...my all time favorite of my own concoction...

Unfreakingbelievable!

My Father in Law is always good for a quote, very few of which are mentionable here...one of his personal favorites is after belching quite loudly he sheepishly exclaims
"Oh excuse me i'm so embarrassed" to which we all know is a complete and utter fallacy.

My mom has been known to say, especially when i was a kid (and you have to know my mom who NEVER EVER speaks a foul word) when all the kids wanted to go somewhere...
"Well, i guess we'll take the whole fam damly." It still kinda shocks me.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Terry Dennis is a vault full of those!

Oh yeah i remembered one i absolutely loved from a guy i used to work with a long time ago, regarding a roommate of mine and fellow employee..."Andy? Yeah, he really is dumber than he looks."